Monday, January 14, 2008

Game-Stopped.


When I found out that there was a new Katamari coming out for 360, I couldn't wait.

On the launch day, I stopped by Target on the way home. Not surprisingly, they didn't carry it.

After I got home, I checked the GameStop website to see if they had any. It said they had a few in stock, but I called ahead just to be sure.

The employee told me yes, Beautiful Katamari was available. I got in the car and arrived approximately fifteen minutes later.

"Hi, I called about Beautiful Katamari".

The manager appears to assist cashier, "Did you preorder it?"

"No" I said.

"It's sold out." he replied.

"Oh, I just called and someone told me you had it".

"We sold them".

"You sold out in the last fifteen minutes?"

Keep in mind that while the Katamari series is excellent, it's by no means mainstream. People don't mob a store to "Roll with the Prince".

Just prior to the GameStop/EBGames buyout, this store had been an EBGames competing with a GameStop across the street. I was directed to the old GameStop to see if they had a copy.

"Hello, welcome to GameStop!" called out he cashier.

"Hi, do you have any copies of Beautiful Katamari?" I asked

Then the manager appeared from behind the counter, "Did you preorder it??"

I confessed that I hadn't.

"Sorry, it's sold out."

I thanked them and turned to leave.

"WAIT!" called the manager.

"You only want one copy?"

I replied that yes, one copy of the game is enough.

"Well, alright, I'll sell it to you." he said.


Let's look at this situation. In one evening, I have tried to buy a game, and been turned down by two separate GameStop managers.

Then, one BROKE DOWN, and decided to sell the game to me. Keep in mind, I am paying for this game with legal tender.

Not subway tokens, not carnival tickets, MONEY.

Isn't that how the system works? A retailer sets a price, and if the customer offers that amount of money, they can exchange it for the item.

There's no other factor.

What is GameStop's motivation for NOT selling items to customers?

Find out in our next exciting installment of;

GameStop Boycott.


No comments: